This bulletin applies to a loss of TPMS tire registration with the ECU on 2007-2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 vehicles (as well as Avalon, Camry, RAV4, Sienna).
The purpose of this bulletin is to provide procedures on tire pressure monitoring system sensor (TPMS) registration when “Lost Communication with ECU” appears on the Techstream display. This condition may occur when trying to register one or more sensors.
NOTE: Software version 4.00.017 or later is required.
- Connect TIS Techstream to the vehicle.
- Turn the ignition switch to the IG-ON position.
- Select the data list for the tire pressure monitoring system.
- Check and set all tire pressures to the specification with an accurate pressure gauge and compare the information to what is displayed on the data list.
- After checking tire pressure, record the TPMS sensors ID numbers.
- With the vehicle set to IG-ON mode, disconnect the TIS Techstream.\
- Using a jumper wire, connect terminals TC and CG at the DL3 connector for at least 30 seconds. Do not cycle the ignition switch to OFF during this step.
- After 30 seconds have passed, remove the jumper wire.
- Connect the Techstream and begin the registration process. If “Lost Communication with ECU” appears during the registration process, terminals TC and CG were not connected properly or the key was cycled.
- After registration has been performed, leave Techstream connected and confirm that the tire pressures are reading correctly and the threshold pressures show a difference of 5 to 7 psi less than the inflation pressure. For vehicles with a TPMS reset switch, press and hold the reset switch to begin the initialization process.
- After tire pressures and threshold pressures display on the data list, adjust all tire pressures in relation to the expected changes in ambient temperatures.